Sunday, January 20, 2013

Notorious 4 Letter Words ;-)



It’s fun to joke about the audacity of speaking certain 4 letter words.
My parents took us on vacation quite often, which meant camping under the stars. They are some of my best memories, but I digress.

On every trip, you could bet money my dad would adamantly remind us that we were not to mention certain 4 letter words. This usually occurred after somebody asked what time it was. Time and work were the two words he was most offended by if used while we were taking a holiday. And there is a lot of sense to that. However, being unable to work in a traditional setting, I find my attitude is changing about how the word, work, is referenced. I fully understand and can still relate to certain irritations from my previous career as a pre-school teacher, especially, having to clock in at a certain time. Time is still a very bad word for me. LOL!

On a serious note, I think, in general, when we complain about work, we’re actually complaining about something more specific than that. Work is in human nature. And, if you aren't working, you suddenly become aware of how important it is to your own personal self esteem, much less work’s importance to society. It is nearly impossible to be social at a gathering without somebody asking you what it is that you do for a living. It has been one of the hardest things for me to deal with and why my new shop Craftego has so much personal value. Plus, my Lupus Cloud blog and Lupus Cloud Facebook Page provide me with a way to reach out and be there for other people who are experiencing similar challenges. It is important for us all to be where people appreciate and respect us for who we are, and what we work on, no matter if we get paid for it or not. Caring for your health is one of the most difficult things, and expensive, and nobody wants to be a part of “the system,” if they can in any way avoid it. It is natural to want to be self sufficient.

So I made this poster to remind us that, work, is to be valued. Never treat somebody like they are lucky if they are unable to work due to disability, and maybe even show some sensitivity since it is usually not easy for the person to accept or discuss socially. And please do not doubt the pain you cannot see of others. This poster is how most of us feel about what we gain when we’re able to complete the job we set out to do.(And what we feel like we lose when we can no longer do it).

 








Go ahead and dread the time and the boss if you must, but, remember the silver lining and be grateful you are needed to do you work. We all need to be needed.



2 comments:

  1. Excellent post and thank you for all the hard work you do to help many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support Jennifer. oxo

    ReplyDelete